eth0: startup messages - pseudo newbie

I have a Versa Note with an inbuild ethernet card and if I am not connected to the
network when I start, I get a whole list of stuff like transmit timed out,
switching to 10baseTx-FD media, etc... in the startup messages. The ethernet is
not modular and was setup to automatically detect which media to use. I am
assuming that these are just it going through the motions of finding that NOTHING
is there - (True/False) ?

ALSO, if I remove the ethernet cable and put it back later I lose my connection
entirely. /etc/init.d/network restart doesn't work and I am not quite sure about
ifconfig, route, etc.

Thanks - be kind ...

Jord

--
Jordan Howarth					mailto:jordan.howarth@cmis.csiro.au
CSIRO Mathematical and Information Sciences	Ph:  (07) 3214 2465