RE: Compaq Presario 1260

> The Laptop is a Compaq Presario 1260
> The main problem is the soundcard, is a ES1869, BUT...there ain't
> any card by that
> na should i try using? And he is killing me to make it work.

It looks like the 2.2.x Kernels support the ESS 1869 chip through
the SoundBlaster module, or you might be able to try the ESS1868
module. Alternatively, you could try the ALSA drivers.  They seem
to work well on the ESS Solo-1 on my laptop.

> The primary problem is the build in modem, its a winmodem, how
> does i make it
> work? :)

Chances are, it won't.  Most modern laptops use a Lucent WinModem,
which won't work with Linux.  I hear that there is work on a driver
for it, and that you can get it to dial, but that's about it.  If
he really needs a modem, he should probably buy a compatible PCMCIA
modem, or keep Windows on his machine and dual-boot.

If he doesn't need the modem that often, you can probably pick up
an old 28.8 or 33.6 fairly cheap.  I know I've seen 14.4 modems for
laptops for about $10.  That's all you really need to check email, or
download the occasional file.

> If you have a Compaq Presario 1260, i would like to have a copy of your
> config files (/usr/src/linux/.config). But other files specific
> to this laptop
> will be nice to have :)

There is a web page that explains someone else's experience setting up
Linux on this laptop at:

http://members.xoom.com/putzin/linux/compaq/index.htm

You might find some additional help by looking at similar Compaq models
(the 1255 or 1267, for example).  More help can be found here:

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/

Hope it helps.

Richard Glidden
rglidden@batigh.dhs.org