Re: Help: exim not accepting mail!

Hi Drew;

Did you tell dpkg during the installation to run it as a deamon?

inetd _should_ launch exim as the virtual package for mail otherwise.
It sounds as though your problem was indeed different than the one that
I experienced.  I have not tried to use exim on any potato machine except
as a daemon so I don't know whether it works or not.

I am afraid that (many months ago) I was so confused when I was trying
to solve this "same" problem that I did not try to figure out where the
problem was really located.

In /etc/init.d/exim I commented out the line with:
        update-inetd --disable smtp
My note in the file even states that I felt that there must be something
wrong with doing that but that it worked.