Re: modem speeds, V.90, etc

Ok, I am not that sure about wvdial, but if you use pppd and the
chatscripts the key is to wait for something after the connect message so
that you can still get the connect message in your logs.

Once you get the connect message in your logs, you can adjust it to report
the right speed.  If it says 115200, then you need to add an atw2 to your
init string (This is a standard command across 95% of modems, and it works
on my Xircom).

As for your question on jargons, all speeds in the serial world are bits,
not bytes, so 14KBytes/sec is pretty good, and  that is using software
compression.  The rs232 protocol which the serial ports use (or the
internal serial stuff in internal modems such as the one you are using) is
asyncronous, so it uses a start bit, 8 data bits, and a stop bit for each
byte, giving you  a factor of 10, not 8.

I hope this gets you pointed in the right direction,
Charlie