Re: Potato on a Sony VAIO notebook

"Noah L. Meyerhans" wrote:

> My employer is about to buy me a Sony VAIO notebook.  I would like to know
> how well these are supported in Debian and if there are any specific
> models that I should look for/avoid for best results.  The only
> requirement the employer has is that it must be a VAIO and must run Lose98
> at least part time for testing/debugging purposes.  Otherwise I'm free to
> choose the model and run Debian on it.

I have a Z505S with Debian, installed from RedHat so I could get the Windows
Refund (but never got it because of an install mistake which will require
Windows to fix :-( ).

I used the RedHat single-floppy network installer, partitioned the hard drive
and installed RedHat into what would later become the swap partition.  Then
booted RedHat and downloaded the Debian image tarball into that partition.  Next
installed Slink into the rest of the drive from that image tarball (I'm not sure
you can install potato because of the second floppy).  Booted Debian and
converted the swap partition using mkswap and swapon and added it to /etc/fstab.

The mistake was to let RedHat auto-partition the disk, which erased the
hibernate partition!  That was really dumb.  Don't erase that partition, it's
really important!  Until I get a CD-ROM for the machine and fix it, I'm stuck
without the ability to hibernate.

Not that this helps you since you need Lose98, but thought it might help someone
install Debian on a similarly floppy-challenged machine.

Zeen,

-Adam P.