Re: tracking a system upgrade.....

Anand Saxena scripsit (2000-09-04 (10:56)):

> modules.conf file). The other day I saw a friend upgrade his system from
> slink to potato. He has been using the potato kernel for a while now, but
> the rest of his system had fallen behind. It took him 5 hours to do the
> upgrade over an ethernet connection. He spent most of his time figuring out
> the dependency problems and rooting out obsoleted files that resulted from
> the system upgrade.

Didn't he use apt-get for this? I had installed slink myself
and when upgrading to potato, I simply added the download paths
to /etc/apt/sources.list, and ran

    % apt-get upate
    % apt-get dist-upgrade

Everything went fine! apt-get figures out the dependencies
itself, installs packages that are needed by others and even
removes packages that are not needed any longer.

What do you mean with "rooting out obsoleted files"? If you
mean old configuration files that have been left behind by
previously removed packages, you can do this:

    % grep -B1 "config-files" /var/lib/dpkg/status | \
      grep "Package:" | sed 's/Package: //' > to-be-purged
    % dpkg --purge < to-be-purged

Greetings, Marco

--
Marco Kuhlmann                             marco.kuhlmann@gmx.net