[no subject]

I have just completed an install of debian 2.0.38 on a IBM Thinkpad
380ED. Although I have years of experience with IBM mainframes this is
my first shot at Linux. So far the installion went OK. I do have one
problem. I have been unable to establish a ppp connection to my ISP. I
have used the pppconfig utility to configure the connection and that
seems to have gone OK. When I attempt to conect using "pon" or "pppd"
command I get a message 'This system lacks kernel support for
ppp....". However my "Debian Linus User's Guide" (my CD can with this
book) says that ppp support is built into the kernel. What am I doing
wrong?
	I am using a PCMCIA 3COM 56K Winmodem. What should my entry in fstab
look like for this modem?

Qadir Abdus-Sabur, Ph.D.
Virginia Farm Bureau
Richmond, VA 23261