Re: turning off the LCD screen.

> On Mon, Sep 25, 2000 at 10:59:19AM -0400, Anand Saxena wrote:
> > O Wise Ones,
> >
> > I was wondering if anybody knows how to turn off the LCD screen, which is
> > more than blanking it. I would like to be able to add some sort of an

> There is a kernel option as I recall that allows the BIOS to turn of the
> backlight when it enters power saving mode - but this only works if X isn't
> running.  If you can't find any information in the HOWTOs try looking in
> the kernel docs I know I read about it somewhere.

I can second this. I too have an Inspiron, and I have it shut off the backlight after a period of inactivity. This is an option in the kernel compile configuration file. If you run make xconfig to compile the kernel, then the help buttons in the apm section will tell you which option to set. As stated above, it only works when X is not running. I accomplish this by using the ctl-alt-F? key to bring up one of my virtual consoles that doesn't have X running: You don't actually have to kill X, you just have to make sure it's not on the active console.

--
					kevin

Kevin M. McLin	Office: Duane C-328 Phone: (voice) 303-492-4053 (fax)303-492-7178
mcl@casa.colorado.edu		http://casa.colorado.edu/~mcl/
  Snail Mail:  Center for Astrophysics and Space Astronomy CB 389,
	         University of Colorado, Boulder, CO 80309-0389