Re: what is the name of the xf4.0.2 package

On Sat, Jan 20, 2001 at 11:53:09AM +0100, Gerhard Reuteler wrote:
> Hi,
> I am looking for a debian package for XF86 4.0.2 which works for the pismo
> laptop, but I cannot find one.  Does it work  or is it to early to change to
> the new version.

X is spread over a half-dozen odd packages.  Some base files are in
xfree86-common, fonts are in xfonts-base and others, the x-server itself is
in xserver-common and xserver-xfree86.  You should choose these packages
from in dselect (or aptitude?), and then dselect will prompt you asking if
you want to include other related packages at the same time.
xserver-xfree86 should work for all video cards (if they are supported by X
v4 at all).

By the way, v4 itself is only available in Debian unstable (but slowly
making its way into Debian testing).  However I think a version has been
compiled informally somewhere for potato (Debian stable).  You might find
references to the potato packages on the Debian X mailing list (I think
archives can be found from www.debian.org).

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A