Font problem

Hi, I'm trying to get true type fonts working on X on my laptop.  I
install the xfs-xtt server that comes on the potato disks.  I used
mkttfdir to make a fonts.dir in the directory with my tt fonts, I put
unix/:7100 as a fontpath in my XF86Config, and I added the path to my
true type fonts in /etc/X11/xfs/config.  I only have the one entry in
my
XF86Config for my fontpath, so I know it is serving up fonts.  For
some
reason though, it won't serve up the true type fonts?  Am I forgetting
something?  I tried to make a fonts.scale, but ttmkfdir doesn't seem
be present in any of the debian packages.  What am I missing?  Where
did
I go wrong?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve