xfree86 on a toshiba tecra 8200

I just got Debian installed on my new Tecra 8200 laptop (that was a
challenge in and of itself, i'm going to write it up later).

I am now having massive troubles getting xfree86 working. I am running
the latest version of unstable with XFree86 4.1.0.

This laptop uses the Trident CyberBladeXP chipset, which 4.1
supports. If I use startx as a user to launch XFree, I get booted back
to the command prompt. If I launch XFree86 directly as root, it gives
me a screen of garbage.

I know I am having troubles with my modelines, as this machine has the
XSVGA+ screen, 1400x1050. I have tried many 1400x1050 modelines for
other lcd's with no luck. I don't know how or where to find proper
information about the valid horiz and vert refresh ranges for the LCD
panel.

There are 2 entries on linux-laptops regarding the 8200, but one
references the other's XFree setup. I tried that with no luck (uses
fbdev), but it is with the 1024x768 screen.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated :)
-pete

--
(peter.royal|osi)@pobox.com - http://pobox.com/~osi - uin#153025
your brain on life - http://fotap.org - incubating

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin, ~1784