Re: LILO on a Toshiba Tecra 500CDT gives an error

Beat Bolli wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'm trying to install Woody on this laptop. It has a floppy drive xor a
>
> CD-ROM drive; the two can't be used at the same time.
>
> So I started with Toms Root and Boot disk (http://www.toms.net/rb), used it
>
> to partition and format the hard disk and to wget the base2_2.tgz from my
>
> server. I get to the point where base2_2.tgz is unpacked, lilo.conf is
>
> set up just right and everything is ready to run lilo.
>
> But lilo says:
>
> --- snip ---
>
> /# lilo -r /mnt -v
>
> LILO Version 20, Copyright 1992-1997 Werner Almesberger
>
> Reading boot sector from current root.
>
> Can't put the boot sector on logical partition 0x306

That's an ancient version of Lilo. Woody is currently at Lilo version
22.1. For starters, version 20 wouldn't recognize the newer Lilo options
such as lba32. You might have better luck doing this instead:

chroot /mnt /sbin/lilo -v

That command would run the Lilo on your root file system instead of the
one on tomsrtbt.

Tom