Re: Need advice installing Debian on Inspiron 2500

Actually, just tonight I learned that win2k (and probably ME + XP) do
their suspend to disk into a file - hiberfile.sys I believe.  So it seems
to me that whatever the case is with suspending to disk, ACPI seems to
'allow' more control for where the OS writes it (perhaps to avoid the
whole bios limitation of where to suspend / resizing the partition if you
add more memory / etc.) - the trade off being that you are writing it to a
file in an existing partition so you would need ram*OS's.  This would
support the fact that no such partitions exist - and I am curious about
anyone with this laptop who still has a windows installation if they have
such a file that's the same size as the amount of ram they have.

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, Derek Broughton wrote:

> Cyn, I know you were trying to be helpful, but it's clear you don't actually
> have a 2500 - this is not some old Windows machine we're trying to convert
> to Linux, it's Dell's current low-end laptop.  It's new enough that when I
> ordered mine in October, I ordered a 2400 and got a 2500.  They come with a
> minumum 128MB of memory, so a 32MB partitiion couldn't be the suspend
> partition.

I kinda assumed he tried mounting it to see what might have been in it.  -
and hey, nothing wrong with 32 megs of ram :) my first laptop had that.

sincerely,
-cyn

The beauty about standards is - there are so many to choose from.