Re: Spaming filter

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002 10:36, Heather wrote:
> > Why don't we have an spaming filter on the lists?
> > to filter all the comercial out of the lists
> >
> > Greatings
> > Christian Precht-Jensen
> > christian@precht-jensen.dk
>
> "UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that
>  would also stop you from doing clever things." -- Doug Gwyn
>
> As far as I know, we don't make any strange methods to block or drop mail,
> because it might succeed in going overboard and eat legitimate mail, and

Wrong.  Any spam blocking method that sends the suspicious messages to the
moderator (to approve or reject as appropriate) will not result in any valid
mail being rejected.  Many lists already run in this fashion.

> this list exists to help everybody who has laptops and debian, not just
> individuals.  The correct response to spammers is:
> 	1. hit the delete key
> 	2. let the list sysadmin apply the current model of agonizer to them.
>
> That way only one person's day gets much of a headache.

I report them to spamcop.

Also I am going to configure my mail servers to check the input IP addresses
used for Debian mailing lists (most spam I receive is through Debian lists)
and drop the connection on such messages.  When I get it working I'll publish
it on debian-isp.