Re: 2.4.17 kernel & pcmcia problem

> Heather <star@betelgeuse.starshine.org> replied:
>
> > When the names of modules that are used by some -cards- changed
> > between 2.2 and 2.4, and (gasp) if they're different between David
> > Hind's external modules or Linus' internal ones, then yes, it
> > certainly -is- going to bother pcmcia-cs.  The config file will
> > announce incorrect mappings.
> > 	Beep, bonk. :(
>
> This is a problem, but it is not the specific problem that Tom was talking
> about.

[symlinks bug in kernel-image-* ellided]  Well, since the dev gang are aware
of this I'm sure kernel-image-2.4.18-* will be fixed when they happen.

> > ... Not that I'm afraid of a little text editing but it needs to be made
> > AWARE and do the right thing without hand hackery, so folks' laptops
> > will "just work" when they change Debian kernel kits or even (per
> > common wisdom) build their own.  Even if it's just a debconf saying,
> > which of 3 config layouts should I use?
>
> Try version 3.1.31-7.  The only "hand hackery" that should be necessary is
> to deal with problem with specific special-case cards or laptops.
> Examples of these special cases can be found in /usr/share/doc/pcmcia-cs/co
> nfig.opts.gz.

Is it me, or does "only a few cases will need hand hacking" sound like it
*does not satisfy* "folks with any kernel-image-n.n.nn or even handbuilt
kernels shouldn't fail" ?

Can we split these changed-cases off into an extra support file so it can
be sought by kernel version, or something?  Whatta mess.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...