Compaq presario 1630 mouse problems.

I have a Compaq presario 1630 and am experiencing some strange mouse
problems.
The tochpad only seems to work if there is something else in the system
generating lots of interrupts.
When the system is idle moving my finger on the touchpad, or pressing the
buttons doesn't seem to have any effect.
However, if I play audio, generate some heavy network traffic, or do
something else that causes lots of interrupts the pad works just fine.

Anybody know why this is so, and how I remedy it?
Is it a software problem, or a kernel problem?

I have tried with Kernel 2.4.12 (custom build) and the kernel from
kernel-image-2.4.17-586tsc, with exactly the same results.

/B

--
You may worry about your hair-do today, but tomorrow much peanut butter will
be sold.