Re: XFree: LCD and CRT simultaneously

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 04:20:30PM +0100, Olaf Stetzer <olaf.stetzer@imk.fzk.de> wrote:
> How did you set up the ServerLayout specifically? I tried it with two
> Screens and with two ServerLayouts, both seem to take only one of
> the two Screen/Monitor configs i made ignoring the other one...

Well my laptop is not here right now, so I can't cut&paste it here, but
basically it's easier than I thought:
1st I also tried as you said, to have two ServerLayouts with different IDs.
This way I could change it by starting X with the -layout "LAYOUTNAME"
commandline parameter. (Don't use spaces in the layout name, it won't work :)

But later I found out a much better way:
I have the Monitor section for the LCD, and for the external monitor. Plus
different Screen sections to each. And I have only one Server layout, which
is the "Default Layout", and it has two schreens in it. (I put the external
monitor first, and the LCD second (maybe it doesn't matter). When I start X,
simply without any parameters, somehow it asks the monitor, so it knows
either that the external has "MAG XJ796" as id, or simply just the highest
resolution that it can handle, and it's clever enough to use the biggest
available. So when I start X using the external monitor, it will
automatically start in 1280x1024 mode (but 60 Hz :(((( and if I use LCD, it
will start in 1024x768 mode.

> But I am glad to be able to switch CRT/LCD with Fn-F6.
> I couldn't find any documentation or HOWTO on this issue (XFree
> +LCD+CRT on Notebooks)!!! Is there any?
Unfortunatelly it doesn't work for me. I can only change them when I reboot
it with or without external monitor's cable plugged in.
What notebook do you have? Did you make any secial settings to be able to
switch, or your BIOS does everything for you?

Floxi