Re: usb floppy

(Doing this IRT a reply, since I accidentally deleted the original
message...)
On 24 Jun 2002 13:01:53 -0700 (PDT) steve thompson <stevetxt@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have a Fujitsu P-2040 lifebook on which I've put
> Woody with the 2.4.18 kernel.  It has an external usb
> floppy drive which I anticipate using just
> ocassionally.  I managed to mount it by loading a
> number of modules for scsi and usb support using
> modprobe and the mount command.  What would be the
> most convenient and efficient way to have it set up to
> use whenever I want, not having it attached at other
> times?
>
> Should the modules be included in /etc/modules?

First, try installing the usbmgr program (apt-get install usbmgr), which
might automatically load all the modules once it detects the floppy
plugged in; it does for my printer, mouse, and memory card. If it
doesn't, you can either mess with /etc/usbmgr/usbmgr.conf and
preload.conf, or add them to modules.conf.

> Should the mount information be in /etc/fstab?

Yeah, the line should look like:
/dev/sda	/floppy	vfat	rw,user,noauto	0 0
Change the file system type and device as appropriate (but if you put
auto for filesystem type and it's a vfat filesystem, you won't get vfat,
you'll get FAT16 with short filenames).

If you use GNOME, there's a panel applet that you can add to
automatically mount/unmount it when you click it,
Applets->Utility->Drive Mount. I think KDE has something similar. I use
GKrellM's filesystem monitors for my memory stick and CD, which works in
the same way. Since you have "user" in the fstab options, you don't need
to be root to mount it.

A word of caution: Always make sure to unmount the drive before removing
a disk (if you're lucky it'll lock while mounted so you can't do this
accidentally) or unplugging the drive, otherwise some nasty corruption
can occur.
--
 - Joe Wreschnig <piman@sacredchao.net>  -  http://www.sacredchao.net
  "What I did was justified because I had a policy of my own... It's