Re: why use ALSA?

> Ok.  Sounds tempting.  Is there a way to know what I will gain based on
> my hardware?
http://www.alsa-project.org/ should be the way to find out. Although I have to
admit that the documentation found overthere tends to be very incomplete.
Especially if you are going to install alsa90 which you most probably will,
if you have a recent soundcard.

> 00:0c.0 Multimedia audio controller: Yamaha Corporation YMF-754 [DS-1E
> Audio Controller]
Sorry, go a maestro and a Soundblaster live, don't know about yours.

> Sorry to be so clueless, but I was looking at the Debian alsa packages
> (wondering how to install alsa).  I see, for example, alsa-utils which
> depends on alsa-modules.  Here's something else that's not clear to me in
> with the debian package system: I've built my own kernel:
You want the alsa utils, base and since you've build your own kernel, you need
the alsa source (most probably).

> $ uname -a
>
> Linux laptop 2.4.18-xfs-laptop #1 Wed Aug 7 21:25:18 PDT 2002 i686
> unknown unknown GNU/Linux
Now I hope you've built your kernel with make-kpkg, since that is one of the
cool features Debian offers your. If you've downloaded the xfs patch with a
debian packages it was installed in /usr/src/patches (somewhere). If you then
specify 'patch_the_kernel := YES' in /etc/kernel-pkg.conf and execute the
magic:
make-kpkg --append_to_version -xfs-laptop --added_patches xfs --initrd
kernel_image

You just have to sit and wait.

To make a package from your modules you would have to untar that modules (alsa
in your case) so  they end up in the modules directory. The do a
make-kpkg --append_to_version -xfs-laptop --added_patches xfs --initrd
modules_image

It will apologize for being annoying and you should forgive it being that way
;-). Then, sit back and relax again.

The hard part is configuring your /etc/alsa/modutils/0.9 file. I'm pretty sure
that google will bring you an answer if you search for your card in
combination with alsa.

Good luck,

Jord