RE: Compiling the kernel - and losing my modules

[snip...]

> To compile the kernel, I follow instructions (e.g. from
> /usr/share/doc/kernel-source-2.4.18/debian.README), like this:
>
> # mv /lib/modules/2.4.18 /lib/modules/2.4.18-save
> # cd /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18/
> # make menuconfig
> # make dep
> # make-kpkg clean
> # make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
> # dpkg -i ../kernel-image-2.4.18_custom.1.0_i386.deb
>
> // dpkg then asks me various questions about my boot manager (LILO).
> /etc/lilo.conf and the relevant files in /boot are all updated.
>
> # shutdown -r now
>
> The boot messages include a lot of "Can't locate module XXX" messages.
>
> What is going wrong?  There must (?) be something simple
> amiss which means
> the modules aren't where the machine excpects to find them:
> non-standard
> file locations?  Should I add command line options or
> environment variables?
> This is standing between me and alsa, pcmcia and probably a few other
> things.

You might be booting your old kernel.    Making the kernel and
installing like you did should work ok.  I don't use the symlinks
in / so I have to set up lilo.conf by hand.  Check your lilo.conf
and make sure you are booting the kernel you think you are.  Be
sure to run lilo to catch changes to lilo.conf.

jim