Re: ACPI sleep/hibernation mode

Derek Broughton wrote:

> From: "Emil Pedersen" <emilp@update.uu.se>
>
> > Matìj Hausenblas wrote:
> > >
> > > I have some little trouble finding documentation on putting an purely ACPI
> (no
> > > APM support) laptop (Acer TravelMate 435LC) to sleep. The apm -s command
> > > doesn't work since apm isn't enabled.
> > > I would like to ask if there's an equivalent to that command but for acpi.
> > > I've heard something about pmtools, swsusp and acpi SX states, but I didn't
> > > find more precise links.
> >
> > I've tried swsusp (se other reply for link) on an acer TM632, but have
> > not been able to get it working when X is started (using nvidia
> > drivers).
> >   In console mode (including framebuffer) it works fine, haven't tried X
> > against framebuffer.
>
> First do: dmesg | grep ACPI

Now I _really_ which I had brought the laptop to work this morning;-)

> You should get "ACPI: Subsystem revision yyyymmdd" and "ACPI: System [ACPI] (
> supports S0 ... S5)"

Got that.  But is the acpi patches really necessary for swsusp?

> If you don't get those, you don't have the ACPU patches installed.  The
> subsystem revision date, above, should be at least in 2003 - patches available
> from Sourceforge.  In the second message, if you don't see S1 and/or S4, you
> can't do any sleep states in kernel 2.4 anyway, and if you don't see S3 you
> won't be able to do suspend-to-ram (which is only available in 2.5 kernels).
> These settings are determined by the DSDT (an ACPI table in the BIOS).  I've
> seen many machines that don't have an S1 state.

Can't really remember, for sure, but I think it's there.  Well, it's S4
I'm trying to reach anyway, and it's there for sure.

> If you have S1, you should be able to do 'sleep' (equiv of apm -s).  If S4 is
> supported you can do suspend-to-disk (with the swsusp patches - I'm not sure
> where those are).  To initiate a sleep state you do "echo 1 >/proc/acpi/sleep"
> for S1, echo the corresponding number for other levels.  I've never seen a
> machine with S2 and you do NOT want to use S5 (immediate power off!).

Perhaps S5 is useful right after <Alt><SysRq><S> <Alt><SysRq><U> ;-)

Anyway, since I can suspend (to disk) and resume fine as long as I don't
have X running it must be related nvidia/agpgart/<whatever>, or?

Anyway, I'll try to fiddle a bit tonight, but unfortunately I'll be out
of reach for mail until tomorrow:-(  (Not having internet access is not
a real benefit when trying to get new stuff working...)

Thanks for you time,

the best,

// Emil