external monitor on Acer TM210?

Hi,

I have an Acer TM 210TEV (with ALi Cyberblade chipset) and want to use
the external VGA in addition to the integrated panel.

The external screen goes to mirror mode when plugged in at boot time,
but I found no way to change the behaviour (or just enable it at run
time).

With the preinstalled Windows I was able to switch between mirror,
independent screen, and 'off' on the fly, AFAIR even with completely
different resolution and colour depth settings for both screen when
wanted.  Is there any way to control this under Linux (and possibly
have a two-screen setup under X)?

Ciao,
   Jens