t23 external monitor prob w/X|Gnome

Hello, all. I have found a bizare problem, i've been searching for answers for days and have come up empty handed...

I'm using an IBM thinkpad t23 with a port replicator, connected to a kvm.

When i'm using X (gdm), the external video quits if i close the lid. if i open it up, the monitor turns back on. The status leds on the monitor all blink like i set the resolution too high.

This only happens in X, as i can close the lid in windows 2000 and in the linux
console. As soon as gnome/gdm fires off, the video dies, until i open the lid. Fn-F7 does nothing to change this behaviour.

I've googled, i've searched mailing list archives and newsgroups and have come up completely empty-handed.

Any help or hints would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--
Jeff Eidsness - CIO / Site manager