Siemens S55 gsm phone w/ usb connection...

Hello all,
I recently got a Siemens S55 mobile phone, that supports GPRS
and I'd like to use it with my compaq presario 724ea laptop
(sid installed). The phone had a serial cable bundled & it seems
to work under linux (I tested it with scmxx on my desktop box, I
haven't enabled GPRS yet...), however my laptop has no serial
ports, nor irda.

However Siemens sells a usb cable as extra, does anyone know if
that connection is supported under linux ?
Should it work with, i.e. the acm module ?

Alternative solutions are irda (low cost, I should have remote
control support w/ lirc also) & bluetooth (expensive, but more
handy IIRC). Which one of these protocols is less battery
consuming (for the phone) ?

Thanx in advance,

--
Manolis Tzanidakis