Utter frustration with Trident 9525 in Toshiba Satellite 2250XCDS

Hi everyone, I've been searching all over the web for solution on getting X going on this laptop. So far I've had sniffs of solutions here and there but nothing has worked yet! I've used Trident generic driver, running at 800x600, 24 bit display. It kinda works okay but there are little flickering bits, arranged in horizontal line, about 2/3 of the way down the screen. They're little flickering rectangles and each seems to be a the same portion of the whole screen. It's driving me nuts! Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated but a working solution would be immensely appreciated.
Many thanks,
Dany.