Re: Kernel 2.6 and Dell Inspiron laptop

On Fri, 2003-08-15 at 19:09, Xavier Maillard wrote:
> Martin List-Petersen <martin@list-petersen.se> writes:
>
> On Fri, 2003-08-15 at 00:02, Xavier Maillard wrote:
> >
> > >  Yep my bad, it is a Inspiron 4100 model.
> >  [SNIP]
> > >
> > >  APM, obsolete ? It is far from being obsolete here :) I mean ACPI
> > >  is so bad supported for my model, I can't imagine letting it
> > >  down. If I had time, I would have made my own DDST table but it is
> > >  painfull :)
> >
> >  APM is obsolete. I've got a Dell Latitude D600 and that has no APM
> >  support at all anymore. I used to compile a custom DSDT table and the
> >  newest ACPI patch in the kernel, however the last two patches include
> >  all data necessary for my notebook now.
> >
> >  Also ACPI has gotten very recent in the 2.4.22-pre series, so there
> >  will be nice ACPI support in the next kernel.
> >
> >  I'm writing a howto for my notebook (http://www.marlow.dk/dell_d600),
> >  since there really was so much new things to play around with.
>
> How hard would it be to do the same for a Dell Inspiron 4100 according
> to your experience ?

Unfortunatly there is no DSDT on the ACPI site for the I4100
(http://acpi.sourceforge.net/dsdt/view.php) and i don't know, how good
your notebook is detected by the current ACPI implementation, but i
would give it a try.

You can try with the Debian kernel package that i supplied, since the
hardware is not that far different. I anyway compiled most stuff in, so
that it would fit for more that just the D600. There is NO APM support
in my kernel (at all). To see, how good it works.

Regards,
Martin List-Petersen
martin at list-petersen dot se
--
The meek will inherit the earth -- if that's OK with you.