Success Story (was: ACPI: the way to go)

Martin List-Petersen <martin@list-petersen.se> writes:

On Sat, 2003-08-16 at 01:05, Xavier Maillard wrote:
> >  Hello,

[...]

>  You will need to get a recent vanilla kernel, patch it with acpi and
>  the patch for custom dsdt from http://gaugusch.at/kernel.shtml
>
>  The kernel, that i gave you the link for, allready supports
>  this. With that you can just copy you aml file somewhere (for example
>  /boot) and let the kernel calling it on boot by specifying it as the
>  initrd boot image (initrd=/boot/dell.aml) in lilo.conf, running lilo,
>  rebooting and you are up and running.

It would have been fine if I did use initrd but I don't ;) Note I had
to edit by my-self the ACPI kernel code to have the overide function
working.

[Update ]

I finally succeeded in having my 'old' Dell Inspiron 4100 managed under
ACPI. So I have safely dropped out APM and can take advantage of the
ACPI now ;)

Thanx to all of you who helped me at doing it real (especially Martin).

So right now, here is the current configuration of my Dell laptop:
 linux 2.4.21 + acpi patch + swsupd patch + laptop-mode patch.

All is really well working now \o/

The most difficult thing was to debug/correct my f#*#g DSDT but I did
and It *DOES* rock now :)

Thanx

P.S: now what can I use to monitor ACPI event and react according to
those events ?

zeDek
--
"Who cares if it doesn't do anything? It was made with your new
 Triple-Iso-Bifurcated-Krypton-Gate-MOS process..."