full screen console under 2.6, + some small bugs

Hey folks,

running debian sid on an HP Omnibook 4100 (p2 300mHz, 96M RAM).  I
recetly (well, not that recently anymore) upgraded to the 2.6 kernel
line, test 6 I think, and it works great.  In particular ALSA now
works, so I have sound!

anyway:

My main gripe is that whatever complex thing I had worked out in the
past to get a full-screen display on my console is no longer working,
so Im back to a tiny little squarei nthe middle of the screen.  Has
anyone got the framebuffer thingy working in kernel 2.6?  Can you give
me a rundown of what I need to do to make it work?

A couple of other little thing:

both my USB and my PCMCIA buses seem to get kinda wiggy after I "wake
up" the computer post-sleep -- that is, after an "apm -s".  I rely on
both of them, and sometimes this behaviour leads to panic-mode before
lecture as I try desperately to stuff data into the laptop from my
desktop.

Is this a bug anyone's familiar with?  Solutions?

thanks much,

matt