libGLcore problems

Hi guys.
This is not a laptop specific problem, but it's quite important.
I have debian testing installed on a Compaq presario 700 and kernel 2.6
(and 2.4.22) self-compiled.
Everything (rather) pretty much works.
However, today, I did apt-get dist-upgrade and it upgraded quite a few
packages. Amongst them, it got rid of acroread (??) and didn't manage at
first to install some new libmesa3 libraries or something. Anyway, after
all was finished, and xserver-common was upgraded, X wouldn't work any
more.
It took me quite some time to sort things out and at the end, I decided to
downgrade X to the stable versions. Things got back on track again.
The errors it was giving to me, were about not finding symbols in
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a: (...)
has anybody got any idea what's going on here?
	Cheers
		Ale