Re: backlight stays off

On 2/18/06, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> David Berg wrote:
>
> > My current problem is the backlight.  Running `xset dpms force off`
> > works just fine and the system wakes up with no problem.  The problem
> > is with a lid event the backlight goes off (though the screen doesn't
> > blank) and I haven't been able to get it to come back on with out
> > rebooting.  This happens whether the acpi script is empty or contains
> > the `xset dpms force off` command.
>
> What version of acpi-support do you have?  With a recent upgrade to 0.57
> (and still w/ 0.58) lid events stopped turning mine on, too.  I had to add
> a "vbetool post" command to lid.sh.  Be warned, vbetool _can_ be hazardous
> to your system, but it works for me:

vbetool post did turn off the backlight and it came back on when run
from a prompt.  But, following a lid event the same command did not
turn the backlight back on.

Also, turning off X, and creating a lid event while on a text console
produces the same results.

I believe I remember a binary driver for the graphics being among the
installed packages for ubuntu.  Perhaps I can find that package and
that will help.

--Dave