Re: Wireless on an Acer Aspire 3610

Juanjavier Martínez wrote:

[...]

Here is what `iwconfig wlan0' shows, if it helps:

juanja@debian~$ sudo iwconfig wlan0
wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:off/any Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00 Bit Rate:54 Mb/s Tx-Power:25 dBm RTS thr:2347 B Fragment thr:2346 B Encryption key:off
         Power Management:off
         Link Quality:100/100  Signal level:-10 dBm  Noise level:-256 dBm

"Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00" means that the interface is not
associated with any access point. I am a bit surprised, though, that it
also says "Link Quality:100/100 Signal level:-10 dBm" which would be an
extremely good link, contrary to what "iwlist scan wlan0" reports. That
might be a problem with the driver or the expected behavior; I have no
experience with ndiswrapper, unfortunately.

So that was the thing? I see....hmmm...should I check another environment....
or maybe borrow a wireless-router... ;-P

That would probably be the best way. Then you can configure it such that
it allows any connection and troubleshoot your wireless interface
without having to worry about the settings of the AP. Later on you can
always try to activate security options such as WEP encryption.

Another possibility is to go to a coffeehouse, bar or hotel which has a
wireless hot-spot and just pay for half an hour of wifi access. In some
places it is possible to associate with the AP and get an IP address
from the DHCP server without paying anything at all. They will redirect
all http requests to their login server unless you pay for a login code,
but that should be enough for you to see if the interface is working.

Okay, but in plain: Is it supposed I should do

iwconfig wlan0 essid <whatever_network_detected>

providing its link quality reading is something decent in order to connect?

To the best of my knowledge that should be enough; it should even happen
automatically if there is only one access point available. Then
"dhclient wlan0" should work if the AP is configured to accept dhcp
requests from your laptop.

Regards,
            Florian