Re: on a dell D820

Received Wed 03 May 2006  4:29am +1000 from anoop aryal:
> hi,
>
> i'm using unstable on dell D820.

I'm on a Dell 6400 and have a similar situation

> 1) i can't seem to get the dvd rw drive to be recognized. if it's being
> recognized, i can't seem to find which device to use. ide_cd and other
> doodads are loaded.

The web page http://tkrat.org/d810/ says that a CD sitting on SATA is
not supported on the current kernels (or at least 2.6.15). In fact, on

  $ sudo modeprobe ide-generic
  $ demsg | tail -4
  ide0: I/O resource 0x1F0-0x1F7 not free.
  ide0: ports already in use, skipping probe
  ide1: I/O resource 0x170-0x177 not free.
  ide1: ports already in use, skipping probe

So I'm guessing this applies to my kernel also (2.6.16)

The solution on that web page is to compile your own kernel after
modifying the source! Or else wait for it to be in the kernel?

> 2) i read somewhere that the wireless card on this puppy works with the
> ipw3200 module. is there any chance that that would show up under module
> assistant?

Pass....

> 3) i've got snd_hda_intel loaded but can't seem to get any sound. have alsa,
> will travel.

I have exactly the same problem. I can't figure this out yet.

> 4) i've used broadcom cards before and this laptop has it too. when loading
> the tg3 module, i see a message saying something about a missing firmware. is
> there a firmware available for linux? what does the firmware give me that i
> wouldn't otherwise?

Pass....

Regards,
Graham