Re: Thinkpad, airo driver and WPA

On Friday 15 September 2006 23:16, Florian Reitmeir wrote:
> Hi,
>
> take a look at
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Cisco_Aironet_Wireless_802.11b
> for a better overview of the situation.
>
> On Fre, 15 Sep 2006, John O'Hagan wrote:
> > I recently installed etch on a Thinkpad T40; it comes with a Cisco
> > Aironet 350 mini-PCI wireless card, which uses the airo kernel module.
> > Apparently this doesn't support WPA, which I need.
> >
> > Google tells me that there were a few moves afoot to include this support
> > in the driver; but the latest report was from February - does anyone have
> > more recent news on this; or a workaround?

Thanks Florian.

As it looks as if it may be a while, if at all, before WPA support finds its
way into the driver, I am considering replacing the card with an IPW2100,
which apparently is also an option in a T40, as long as the PCI-ID number
is "authorized" (but this can be hacked:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_unauthorized_MiniPCI_network_card).
At least I know this driver works with WPA.

Any reason not to do this?

Regards,

John