Re: Toshiba A105-S2101 Laptop - minor issues

On 19/09/06, Preston Boyington <pboyington@gmail.com> wrote:

 guess i should look into it, but since i want to run the latest kernel it's not so important at the moment.

Then let us move on.

lol, same situation here.  have loaded the software but i have no
telephone line.  will try it when i take it to a friends house.

Then let us move on. :-)

which source are you using for your Madwifi drivers?  when i "apt-got"
the madwifi package it still didn't detect the card correctly.  not at
the machine right now, so i apologize for not posting the message.

I use the madwifi-ng drivers from svn. This means, in case you are not familiar, that I use the latest code. Literally. As soon as it is written, I have it. I
do not recommend that you do this. In stead, download the newest driver from the madwifi website. Make sure it is madwifi-ng and not madwifi as the latter is old and no longer supported. The version is currently  0.9.2. But, look at the other pages of that
site. They are extremally useful in getting your wifi to work. As always, though, feel free to ask questions here.

> I have gotten all to work, save the media buttons on the left

same here, but that's not overly important to me.

Then let us move on. I'm getting good at typing that. Hehe.

yes, this thing definitely gets hot if you sit it on your lap to use.  i
also notice that the battery life is not real good.  possibly i could
change settings and such, but "out of the box" it sucks the power very
quickly.  don't think it would make a two hour flight on battery alone
even if i was just doing the most mundane tasks.

I suggest that you prop of the back of the machine in some way as to elevate the fans from the surface upon which the laptop rests;
but in such a way so as not to block the fans, air intakes or exhaust. Aside from that, as I think I mentioned, vacuum the fans, air intakes and exhaust vents at least once per month.

As to the battery, mine is capable, according to Toshiba, of about one hour and one half of one hour. There are debates as to how one might go about maximising battery life (always leaving it in, removing it and, if so, at what charge per centage) but, really, it shouldn't matter much, I should think. I'm no expert, though. Since you bought that model, I'm assuming you didn't buy it for the battery life; you'll have it plugged in most of the time.

Cheers.

--
—A watched bread-crumb never boils.
—My hover-craft is full of eels.