Help! PCMCIA Wifi card freezes system

Hi. I bought a Netgear WG511T 108Mbs (cardbus) network card for use with my Toshiba Portege 4010, which runs Debian testing, kernel 2.6.18-3 (and a custom 2.6.20).

When I plug the card in, my laptop freezes immediately.

Sometimes the system continues to run as normal if I unplug the card. In these cases I get to read the error messages.

I get an error message which says:

cs: pcmcia_socket0: unable to apply power

Does anyone know how to fix this? I would be happy to help debug.
I tried a different card, (a wired xircom RealPortEthernet 10/100), which did not have any problems. Do I need to buy a different network card?

Thanks,

James