Re: IBM T22 S3 Savage Video Sarge to Etch Upgrade

> I remember an issue from 1.5 years ago, when I did an update on (then
> testing) Etch which led to a touchpad problem.  I think the
> Synaptics touchpad was somehow related to pcmcia stuff (yenta socket)
> and hotplug used to recognize it automatically before the update.
> (This was an Averatec 3250 laptop.)
>
> The update introduced udev, but that didn't work for kernels older than
> 2.6.15 (the Sarge kernel is 2.6.8) and it conflicted with hotplug.  Also
> there was an issue related to pcmcia-cs (for older than 2.6.13) vs.
> pcmcia-utils (for 2.6.13 or higher).
>
> Maybe making sure you have the Etch kernel, udev, and pcmcia-utils would
> solve your touchpad problem.
>
> Selim T. ErdoÄ?an
>

> --

 Salim,
Thanks for the reply,
you maybe on to something with the pointing device. Following
Florian's instructions I have been able to get to the X gray screen.

I upgraded to Sarge 2.6.8 a few months ago to get something working that
required the 686 intel stuff.

Thanks,

John T. Lapp
System Admin.