Re: Cannot mount usb memory with correct filesystem encoding

On Dec 26, 2007 7:40 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
How can I mount an SD card (via USB card reader) to have a specific
filename encoding on Ubuntu Feisty 7.04? My laptop is UTF-8, but the
SD card in my Nokia 6288 seems to be CP1255 or ISO-8859-8. The Hebrew
filenames show up as question marks, not letters. So if on the Nokia I
make three directories on the card:
EnglishDir
תיקייהעברית
עודאחד2

Then this is what I see on my laptop:
EnglishDir
???????????
??????2

What mount command should I use? I read man mount and I see no mention
of encodings. The card is Fat32, formated by me on a windows machine.

$ sudo mount -o codepage=1225,iocharset=iso8859-8,utf8 -t vfat
/dev/sdb1 /media/usb
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1,
     missing codepage or other error
     dmesg | tail  or so

How about this? You should try it

$ sudo mount -o codepage=cp1225,iocharset=utf8 -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /media/usb
$ sudo mount -o utf8 -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /media/usb
$ sudo mount -o iocharset=utf8 -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /media/usb

As you can see, change some options, maybe this will help you

Nickel Cobalt