Re: debian lenny on Acer Extensa 4420-5963

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 14:26:08 -0400, David O'Toole wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 16:59 +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
>
> > By the way: Right after I sent my earlier message I realized that I had
> > not run update-pciids for a while. With an up-to-date PCI ID list, the
> > description of [14e4:4315] has changed from "BCM4310 USB Controller" to
> > "BCM4312 802.11b/g".
>
> So, would this mean that the device is actually supported?

Well, the above only means that older versions of the PCI database had a
mistake in the device description. If you correct your own database by
running "update-pciids" as root then you should also see the correct
description the next time you run "lspci". At least we know now for sure
that you do have the 14e4:4315 (from what you posted in your other
message).

As I wrote in my earlier mail, the b43 uses a mechanism for identifying
supported devices that does not rely on the PCI IDs, and I unfortunately
do not know the details of how this "Sonics Silicon Backplane" subsystem
works.

> It seems to be at least partially supported at
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

Indeed, it says that 2.4 GHz is supported for the BCM4312, and 802.11 b
and g are both based on the 2.4 GHz band AFAIK.

> What would be my next step?

I would try to load the module and check the syslog for messages, i.e.

modprobe -v b43

grep -i b43 /var/log/syslog

If your computer loads the module and then complains about missing
firmware then you know what you have to investigate next.

If your computer loads the module and produces another error message
then you have something to feed to Google and hope for the best.

If your computer loads the module without error message but does not
create a wireless device node (check with /sbin/iwconfig) then you may
have to try going via ndiswrapper as has already been suggested earlier.

In any case it is probably a good idea to post here what you get from
the syslog; maybe somebody else will have a better idea about what is
going on.

          Florian   |