Re: cpufreq_conservative on Lenny AMD64?

s. keeling wrote:
> I've been fighting with this for weeks, trying to learn everything I
> need to know.  Unfortunately, I don't appear to be getting anywhere.
>
> This box is an HP Pavilion dv4, AMD64.  Lenny mostly runs great on it
> (better than Sidux :-), however it's always running hot.  The fan is
> always on.  I'd like to have this thing ramp its CPU frequency back to
> its minimum when CPU load is close to zero.
>
> CPU load is barely ticking over on this thing in both cores, yet it's
> running at 71 C in TZ01.  How do I get it to ramp down its CPU Hz?  It
> doesn't need to be running at 2.x GHz, so why is it?  It should ramp
> up to that level when the OS has stuff to do, yes?  Am I
> misunderstanding something basic here?
>
> I've been through /etc/default fixing stuff there.  I've fought with
> /etc/cpufreqd.conf, to no result.  "Restarting CPU Frequency daemon:
> cpufreqd failed!"  Ideas?  I would expect this machine to be new
> enough to handle cpufreq's latest abilities.
>
> (1) [root] infidel /root_ lsmod | grep cpu
> cpufreq_powersave       1856  0
> cpufreq_userspace       3172  0
> cpufreq_stats           3776  0
> cpufreq_ondemand        6476  0
> freq_table              4224  2 cpufreq_stats,cpufreq_ondemand
> cpufreq_conservative     5960  0
>
> Thanks for enlightenment, if you have it.

I can't help beyond what others have posted.  However, I had until
recently, an Acer AMD64 laptop which had perennial overheating
problems.  Over the three years I had it I sent it back to Acer twice
but never really got a resolution.  I came to the conclusion that the
non_Turion AMD64 chips aren't suited to a laptop environment although it
didn't seem to get as hot running windows.  It would shut itself down if
I had too many Firefox windows open.  Eventually, it became too much of
an issue and I replaced it with a Thinkpad.

Regards

Clive