Re: CPU fan permenantly on. Toshiba L300. (squeeze/sid (2.6.30-2-686))

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 10:12 PM, James Clark <jamesc@jamesc.co.nz> wrote:
> All I can tell you is previously  acpi_osi="Linux" would allow
> "normal" fan behaviour.  Whatever the fan is.

I really hope this isn't premature.

I think I found what the cause was.

The kernel option acpi_osi="Linux" used to be the "fix" with my Ubuntu install.

I migrated to Debian with a squeeze/sid installation and the "fix"
stopped working.  I was stumped.

GRUB.

With GRUB 2 you edit '/etc/default/grub' then run 'update-grub'.

This is the line that _is_ working for me:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi=\"Linux\""

Note the escape characters.  Previously I wasn't escaping the
quotations therefore the quotes in the kernel option were being
stripped when they were then written to /boot/grub/grub.cfg .

Just a bit frustrating.

James