Re: Brightness control in Jessie

I don't think is necessarily kernel related (although it might be a diff between kernel and userland).

On my notebook I have:

Linux version 3.13.0-37-generic (buildd@kapok) (gcc version 4.8.2 (Ubuntu 4.8.2-19ubuntu1) ) #64-Ubuntu SMP Mon Sep 22 21:28:38 UTC 2014

and brightness works, iirc, with the Linux mint live CD and in the early part of boot (I don't remember the details, but definitely was working at some point with the same kernel I'm using). It doesn't work, for me, once gnome and/or the nvidia driver kicks in.

Did you try to boot in console only mode and see if you get brightness working there?