Re: Is this DFSG-free?

On Thu, Feb 03, 2000 at 02:41:10PM +0100, Gergely Madarasz wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:

> > [...]
> I think the fee applies to granting permission... no fee is needed to get
> that permission.

That sounds right, afaict.

> > #   [...] provided
> > #   that the University of Virginia and the original authors are
> > #   credited in any publications arising from the use of this
> > #   software.

> Anyway this looks like the same licence imap has, which
> has been in main for quite a while now.

The imap license has, instead of the above, ``and that the name of
the University of Washington not be used in advertising or publicity
pertaining to distribution of the software without specific, written
prior permission'', which is almost the exact opposite.

I vaguely recall that we've considered something similar non-free in
the past (something to do with academic papers being written based on
the calculations performed by the software), but I can't remember any
of the details. :-/

Cheers,
aj

I don't speak for anyone save myself. GPG encrypted mail preferred.

 ``The thing is: trying to be too generic is EVIL. It's stupid, it
        results in slower code, and it results in more bugs.''
                                        -- Linus Torvalds