Re: "Open Source" Motif

On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 07:49:54PM -0700, David Johnson wrote:
> But if you add BSD code to someone else's GPL code, you could be in
> trouble since the BSD license adds an additional requirement to
> distribute an additional warranty and permission statement.

That is only true if:

1) You're talking about the 4-clause BSD license, not the 3-clause version.
   The clauses are numbered so they are easy to distinguish.

2) The work in question is NOT copyrighted by the Regents of the University
   of California.  The Regents publically abandoned clause 3 of the
   4-clause BSD license, probably because of point 3).

3) You are in a legal jurisdiction where clause 3 of the 4-clause BSD
   license is enforceable.  Legal opinions strong enough to persuade the
   Regents of the University of California convinced them that the clause
   is not enforceable in the United States.

Furthermore, I don't believe the revision of the BSD license changed the
warranty terms.

--
G. Branden Robinson            |    "There is no gravity in space."
Debian GNU/Linux               |    "Then how could astronauts walk around