Re: Fair use defined (was: Re: Stallman Admits to Copyright Infringement)

Thus spake Thomas Bushnell, BSG on Sun, May 21, 2000 at 11:24:13PM CDT

> One interesting precedent I know of.  First, there is precedent that
> you may make a tape recording of a musical album you own, for personal
> purposes including reducing wear and tear on the album, more
> convenient or portable format, and so forth.  I assumes that the
> freedom to make a personal cassette tape of a vinyl album would extend
> to making a personal MP3 of a CD.  Personal in the precedent excludes
> making copies for other people.

This is called 'fair use'.  I've heard that the DMCA has arguably done away
with this interpretation of fair use.  Is this so?

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Everything works    |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |       if you let it" |      available at