[bob@redhat.com: Re: Gnome?]

This is a non-sensical thread that refuses to die on the XL or Beowulf
list... it's just interesting to note s/o at RH is also talking with Troll.

				Marcelo
--- Begin Message ---
Oleg,

I am actively talking to the Troll Tech folks and others about all
these issues.

I'll keep you posted on any progress we make.

Cheers,   Bob.

> > I'm not sure that this is the forum for debating KDE and Qt library
> > licensing issues - does Gnome or KDE run on Extreme Linux machines?   ;-)
> >
> > But it should be noted that the Qt libraries are not -yet- open source.
> > Troll Tech have announced that they will be changing the license on their
> > next release of the Qt libraries (2.0) due out in early '99.
>
> Bob,
>
> Although this is off topic (I deleted the lists from the header), I think
> these "political" arguments are resulting in the fragmentation of the
> Linux market, much like UNIX got fragmented.
>
> By the time GNOME was releasing an alpha version, KDE was a usable beta.
> Now KDE is a full release, there are hundreds of applications written that
> use KDE, and GNOME is still pretty much vaporware as far as ordinary users
> are concerned. Only now GNOME folks are talking about feature freeze and
> 1.0 release. That seems like 6 months behind KDE.
>
> Trolls announced they will be releaseing the next version of Qt under an
> OSS compliant license. Where does it take GTK ? Will we have two different
> competing GUI toolkits or what ? What will Red Hat distribute, Gnome or
> KDE, 1 year from now ?
>

> Oleg Dulin,
> Clarkson University, Computer Engineering
> http://www.clarkson.edu/~dulino

Phone 919-547-0012 x227			Fax   919-547-0024
P.O. Box 13588				email: bob@redhat.com
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709	http://www.redhat.com

--- End Message ---