Re: Concerns over Modula-3 copyrights.

On Wed, Jan 06, 1999 at 21:45:49 +1100, Stuart Lamble wrote:
> The solver is Copyright (C) 1992, Xerox Corporation.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> This is, literally, the whole copyright statement (as far as I can tell)
> for this particular file.

I vaguely recall that Xerox used to have a license agreement that qualified
as free; unfortunately I can't find pointers for it. If someone finds it,
you could ask Xerox to release it under that license.

> libs/m3core/src/win32/WinVer.i3 is also worrying:

Is it needed for a Debian package? If not, it might be sufficient just to
leave it out of the binary package (and note in the copyright file that it
is problematic, but doesn't affect the binary package).

Also, perhaps this version of Modula 3 is already packaged by a party that
might pay attention to licensing (e.g. a *BSD or perhaps Red Hat); it might
prove useful to contact it if they have more info.

HTH,
Ray
--
UNFAIR  Term applied to advantages enjoyed by other people which we tried
to cheat them out of and didn't manage. See also DISHONESTY, SNEAKY,