Re: GPLed gettext.

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Santiago Vila wrote:

> gettext had a security problem, Bug #28850, which has been fixed by
> Vincent Renardias in gettext_0.10.35-6.1 (NMU). (Thanks Vincent).
>
> However, the fix consisted in copying a set of files from libc,
> which is LGPLed, into gettext, which is GPLed.
>
> May be this really be done? (I think not).

Good spotting (I didn't noticed this).
However, these are the gettext/intl/*.[ch] and glibc/intl/*.[ch] are the
same files. It just happens that the glibc version is more recent. AFAIK,
a part of gettext has been relicenced from GPL to LGPL to allow it's
inclusion in glibc. So I'm not sure if this is really a big problem,
considering it fixes a security bug.

--
- Vincent RENARDIAS  vincent@{{ldsol,pipo}.com,{debian,openhardware}.org} -
- Debian/GNU Linux:   http://www.openhardware.org    Logiciels du soleil: -