Re: License for DOCs in main?

Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> IMHO, the restrictions below do not prevent us distributing on CD, and
> I believe that we already have docs in main with licenses as harsh as
> this.

E.g. the GPL itself, as a document, is under copyright conditions that
would definitely make it non DFSG-free had it happened to be a source
code.

> >     02.  Any  translation  or derivative work of The Linux Net-
> >          work Administrators' Guide must be approved by the au-
> >          thor in writing before distribution.

> This is awful.

I don't think that clause has any legal significance compared to if
it wasn't present. If distribution of derived work is not *explicitly*
allowed, it is forbidden.

Would you require that any documentation on the CDs should come with
copyright statemtents that explicitly allowed modification?

--
Henning Makholm
http://www.diku.dk/students/makholm