Re: Mgetty should be in non-free?

On Wed, Jan 27, 1999 at 03:23:11PM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:
> Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > ---
> > You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and
> > you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee.
> > --
>
> > This is the only mention of fees in the main portion of the text.  Since
> > it doesn't give permission to sell,
>
> What is the difference between "charge a fee for the physical act of
> transferring a copy" and "sell a copy"?

To sell a copy is to give the recipient all rights to the software. The
result would be that the person you sold the software to would own it. This
is something only the author can do.

This is not the same as charging for the act of making and delivering a
copy. When you deliver a copy, the recipient only has a copy, not ownership
of the work.

> I can choose to give you a copy of, say, gcc. I can choose not to. I
> can promise you that I'll choose to give you a copy if you give me
> money in return. Am I not then selling a copy?

No. Very different.

--
Brian Ristuccia
brianr@osiris.978.org