Re: [flamebait] Lesser GPL

On Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 02:46:47PM -0500, aqy6633@acf5.nyu.edu wrote:

> One of the main purpurses of Debian adherence to DFSG was often cited
> that any package can be used by anyone without the need to read license.

WTF? You know that this is wrong. There are lots of things you must not do
with any package, and that is for example but not limited to stripping or
changing the copyright notice, incorporate the source code in proprietary
software and some things else. We do _NOT_ guarantee that any piece of
software in our main distribute can be incorporated in proprietary programs,
for example by using source code directly or by linking dynamically or
statically.

That some libraries indeed allow this is a courtesy but a different matter.

> Not only ALL developers of commercial packages would not be able to continue
> its work on Debian systems,

FUD. And wrong, too.

> but also FREE software developers who prefer to
> use different license than GPL (Artistic in my case) would also be banned
> from Debian.

??? How is the LGPL more incompatible with the Artistic License than the
GPL? Please explain.

Marcus